Andrew M. Shaw, Esq.
I am a graduate of Georgetown Law, which is one of the highest ranked law schools in the nation. I was selected to the New Jersey Super Lawyers list as a “Rising Star” in 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021, and I have completed the coursework and passed the examination necessary to be qualified as a Certified Financial Litigator by the AACFL. I have developed my legal skills working for Justice Helen E. Hoens of the New Jersey Supreme Court and as a judicial law clerk to three Somerset County Superior Court Judges in the Family Part: Honorable Margaret Goodzeit, P.J.F.P.; Honorable Anthony F. Picheca, Jr., J.S.C.; and Honorable Michael F. O’Neill, J.S.C. I am a member of Mensa, and my scholarly articles have been published in the New Jersey Law Journal, the Georgetown Journal on Poverty Law & Policy, and the American Bar Association’s Minority Trial Lawyer Newsletter.
But my credentials should not be the reason you retain me. You should retain me because I am aggressive, and I will fight tooth and nail for you and your family. You should retain me because I am strategic, and we will work together from day one to ensure your case is litigated with the forethought and planning necessary to success. You should retain me because I am responsive; I will ensure that each of your questions is answered and that you will always understand: (1) what is happening in your case; (2) why it’s happening; and (3) what to expect next.
If you require someone with the skill and dedication to advocate effectively on your behalf, I am ready.
- Georgetown University Law Center
Juris Doctor, 2013
- Rutgers University
Bachelor of Arts, 2010
- Harvard Business School
Negotiation Mastery, 2022 (certificate)
Organizational Leadership, 2021 (certificate)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Commercial Real Estate Analysis & Investment, 2021 (certificate)
Entrepreneurship Bootcamp, 2018 (certificate)
Activities & Affiliations
- N.J. State Bar Association – Family Law Section
- N.J. State Bar Association – Appellate Practice Special Committee
- Somerset County Family Law Practice Committee
- Raritan Valley Lodge #46 of F&AM
- Rotary Club of Somerville & Bridgewater
- American Mensa
- Production of Mental Health Records for Custody & Parenting Time Evaluations (New Jersey Law Journal, 2020)
- Premarital Cohabitation and Duration of Alimony Under the Amended Statute (New Jersey Law Journal, 2018)
- Unintended Consequences: Alimony Reform and Lifestyle Equalization (New Jersey Law Journal, 2018)
- ‘Kozlov’ Test for Piercing Privileges is Alive and Well (New Jersey Law Journal, 2017; Minority Trial Lawyer Newsletter, 2017)
- Alimony Reform, Cohabitation and the Untimely Death of the Economic Needs Test (New Jersey Law Journal, 2015)
- Our Duty in Light of the Law’s Irrelevance: Police Brutality and Civilian Recordings (Georgetown Journal on Pov. Law & Policy, 2012)
Notable Appellate Division Cases
- Orr v. Orr, No. A-0579-20 (App. Div. October 6, 2021)
- A.M.D. v. K.E.F., No. A-4359-19 (App. Div. May 24, 2021)
- P.J.W. v. E.B.W., No. A-5308-18 (App. Div. November 16, 2020)
- Connors v. Connors, No. A-4641-18 (App. Div. October 23, 2020)
- V.P. v. P.A.P., No. A-3793-17 (App. Div. December 13, 2019)
- Peters v. Peters, No. A-5604-17 (App. Div. July 9, 2019)
- L.V.B. v. L.A.D.B., No. A-4738-17 (App. Div. May 16, 2019)
- Kachmar v. Kachmar, No. A-5205-17 (App. Div. April 29, 2019)
- Burkhardt v. Kastell, No. A-2724-17 (App. Div. June 8, 2018)
- State of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
No aspect of these advertisements has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. For more information on the selection processes for these accolades, please click here.
We have answers.
Consultations are completely free. You shouldn’t be charged while we get to know each other. During our first meeting, we’ll explore the facts, explain the law, and address the likely timeline, costs, and range of potential outcomes. When you walk out of this office, you will be armed with the legal and practical knowledge to make informed decisions related to your divorce.